|The Giant Spider Invasion|
|Riffed by||Mystery Science Theater 3000|
|Riffers||Mike Nelson, Tom Servo played by Kevin Murphy, Crow T. Robot played by Bill Corbett|
|Date Released||April 19, 1997|
The Giant Spider Invasion is a low-budget 1975 film produced by Transcentury Pictures, a partnership owned by the film's director Bill Rebane. The film is about giant spiders that terrorize the town of Merrill, Wisconsin and the surrounding area. The Giant Spider Invasion was given a U.S. release in theaters in 1975, and was distributed by Group 1 Films. The iconic theatrical poster art was a throwback to the giant monster movies of the 1950s. The film received a considerable theatrical run and became one of the fifty top grossing films of that year. It was riffed by Mystery Science Theater 3000 and aired on the Sci-Fi Channel in May 1997.
Synopsis and PreviewEditThe central plot of the film revolves around the titular spider invasion, which occurs when what appears to be a meteorite crashes down in rural Wisconsin, and spawns spiders of varying sizes. Subplots include:
- Dan Kester and his hate/hate relationship with his wife, Ev.
- Dan's adulterous affair with local barmaid Helga.
- Dave Perkins' attempts to make out with Ev's underaged sister Terry.
- A fundamentalist preacher leading a revival meeting.
- Drs. Vance and Langer getting involved in somewhat of a romance.
- The eventual panic that results when the townspeople are confronted with the spider.
- The invasion is deduced (with various scientific-sounding language) to be the result of some sort of interdimensional gateway, and is ultimately thwarted when Drs. Vance and Langer manage to close off the gateway, draining the spiders of their energy and causing them to melt into puddles of disgusting sludge.
Cast and CrewEdit
- Alan Hale, Jr. as Sheriff Jones
- Barbara Hale as Dr. Jenny Langer
- Robert Easton as Dan Kester
- Leslie Parrish as Ev Kester
- Steve Brodie as Dr. J.R. Vance
- Christiane Schmidtmer as Helga
- Revenge of the Creature (MST3K)
- The Mole People (MST3K)
- Terror from the Year 5000 (MST3K)
- The Leech Woman (MST3K)