|Riffers||Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, Bill Corbett|
|Date Released||July 10, 2014 (Live)|
Sharknado is a 2013 made-for-television disaster B movie about a waterspout that lifts sharks out of the ocean and deposits them in Los Angeles. It first aired on the Syfy channel on July 11, 2013, and stars Cassie Scerbo, Ian Ziering, Tara Reid, and John Heard. It was also given a one-night only special midnight theatrical screening via Regal Cinemas and NCM Fathom Events, where it took less than $200,000 in the box office across 200 screenings. RiffTrax riffed Sharknado live from the Historic State Theatre in Minneapolis in July 2014. Its sequel was riffed live a year later.
Synopsis and PreviewEdit[Spoilers Begin]
A freak hurricane hits Los Angeles causing man-eating sharks to be scooped up in water spouts and flooding the city with shark-infested seawater. Surfer and bar-owner Fin (Ziering) sets out with his friends, Baz (Jaason Simmons) and Nova (Scerbo), to rescue his estranged wife, April (Reid), and teenage daughter, Claudia (Aubrey Peeples). While the gang is in Finn's jeep, the Emergency Alert System appears, announcing a tornado warning. He succeeds but April's boyfriend is eaten by the sharks. The group meets up with Matt (Chuck Hittinger), the adult son of Fin and April, who is in flying school. They decide to try to stop the threat of the incoming "sharknadoes" by tossing bombs into them from a helicopter.
As Nova prepares to throw one of the bombs, she falls out of the helicopter and directly into a shark's mouth. Matt is heartbroken. Baz is also lost in the storm. After Matt lands on the ground, a flying shark plummets toward the remaining members of the group. Fin jumps into its mouth with a chainsaw and cuts his way out. He emerges carrying an unconscious but miraculously unharmed Nova. Matt is reunited with Nova and Fin gets back together with April.
Cast and CrewEdit
- Ian Ziering as Finley Shepherd
- Tara Reid as April Wexler
- Chuck Hittinger as Matt Shepherd
- Aubrey Peeples as Claudia Shephard
- John Heard as George
- Cassie Scerbo as Nova Clarke
- Jaason Simmons as Baz
- Diane Chambers as Agnes
- Julie McCullough as Jonni Waves
- Robbie Rist as Robbie
- This is the first RiffTrax Live! event not to originate from the Belcourt Theater. Instead it originated from the Historic State Theatre in Minneapolis.
- This was the first of four RiffTrax Live shows in 2014, the others being Godzilla, Anaconda, and Santa Claus.
- This is the only title from The Asylum to be riffed by RiffTrax.
- Birdemic: Shock and Terror
- Manos: The Hands of Fate
- House on Haunted Hill
- Plan 9 from Outer Space
- Jack the Giant Killer
- Night of the Living Dead
- Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
- Starship Troopers